Sunday, June 30, 2013

English Club on 'Trust'

Trust
27 June 2013
Leader: Olga P.

Fun Fact of the Day: Boulder, Colorado is the only city in the U.S. to own a glacier.
Discussion:
1. What does ‘trustfulness’ mean? What is the nature of trust? How can you tell if a person is honest? Is it important to be honest with everybody? Is it always easy? Do you think that mistrust becomes a sort of protection against fear of failure or loneliness or being unaccepted or perhaps even death? Can you give some examples of trust?
2. Is it ever Ok to give only a partial truth instead of full honesty? Is there a difference between telling a partial truth and lying? Do you trust your friends or spouses every time? Should you tell them truth every time? Do you have a friend whom you tell everything and trust as your own diary? Is it important to have truthfulness in a family?
3. How can you explain the notion ‘self-trust’? Is it easy to you to accept yourself as you are with all your every day decisions? What do you do to have ‘self-trust’? Have you ever thought about it? Is it the same – to have ‘self-trust’ and ‘to have an own inner voice”?
4. Have you ever thought about trust in a business context? What brand do you choose when buying goods? How do you keep security and trust in e-business? Do you always trust your partner in any business?
5. Is it possible to keep and share important information in social nets? Do you often share your personal data using Facebook, Vkontacts, etc.
6. Have you ever been captured in situations when the truth hurts? What are “white lies”? Everyone tells a white lie on occasion, it’s just a question of why? Is it Ok to tell white lies if they protect somebody? If you tell ‘white lies’, does it make you a dishonest person? Have you ever used the following ‘white lies’ in your practice?
Here’s a list of 15 most common ‘white lies’ and why we tell them:
1. It wasn’t me! – Because some things just aren’t worth taking credit for.
2. The table will be ready in 5 minutes. – Because it sounds a lot better than 15 minutes.
3. Oh, yeah. That makes sense. – Because option B involves admitting that I am clueless.
4. Thank you so much! I just love it! – Because telling someone that their gift sucked would make me look like an insensitive jerk.
5. Yeah, you look great in that dress. – Because it’s better than being slapped.
6. Oh, things would have been different if I was there! – Because I’m Superman and I can always make a difference… or at least that’s how I want others to perceive of me.
7. No, officer… I have no idea how fast I was going. – Because claiming ignorance is sometimes better than admitting to insubordination.
8. I’m 29. – Because 29 is like 20 years younger than 30.
9. Yeah, I’ll start working on that ASAP! – Because telling you I have 10 things to do first would just irritate you.
10. Yes, John was with me last night. – Because that’s what friends do… we agree and ask questions later.
11. My resume is 5 pages long for a good reason. – Because I’m darn good at bullshitting!
12. Man, that sucker was 10 feet long! – Because anything less would be boring.
13. Yeah, I was a badass on my high school football team! – Because I want to be seen by others in an even stronger light than I see myself.
14. I’m 21 with a muscular build. – Because you can’t see me in this online chat room… ha ha!
15. I thought I already sent that email out. I’m sure I did. – Because telling you that it was a low priority and I forgot would probably hurt our relationship.
Schedule:
Thursday, 29 June 2013 – 5:30 pm
Saturday, 04 July 2012 – 10:30 am
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/woa.vin, http://www.facebook.com/groups/107061309346532
Definition: Trust, Trustingness or Trustfulness - the trait of believing in the honesty and reliability of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment