Thursday, April 10, 2014

The English Club on "The Generation Gap" with Kate S.

Today's discussion was dedicated to Generation Gap - in friendship, work, family relationships, and a gap between teachers and students.
Discussion:
I. Does the generation gap exist?
1) Is generation gap a myth or reality?
2) What is the generation gap and why does it exist?
3) Is there a generation gap on morality?
4) Do you think that the generation gap is a very unpleasant thing? Had it any positive features?
5) What age difference causes a generation gap?
6) What are the examples of generation gaps?
II. Generation gap
  1) When do you feel the generation gap the most?
2) Is it possible to overcome the generation gap?
3) What point in life does the generation gap seem to be the largest?
4) They say that each generation is about 10 years. Is it possible to "categorize" or "label" every generation (e.g. "radio, television, computer" generations)?
5) What are some key signs that a generation gap is present?
6) What are the advantages and disadvantages of the generation gap?
7) What are the reasons and effects of the generation gap?

III. Relations between generations

1) What do you think when you see an old person?
2) Do you think older people are boring?
3) Why are there generation gaps between age groups?
4) What do you think of the generation gap between old people and young people?
5) What are the topics that people of different generations disagree on? Is it possible for people of different generations to agree on things as well?
6) How do different generations react on the same situation? Could you give the examples?
7) What are the advantages and disadvantages of another generation?
8) What influences the styles, values and interests of a generation?
9) Are people from the "older" generation always wise and correct in their ways of thinking and choices? Why or why not?
10) Do you think generation gaps allow the older generations to have more "authority" in their relationships with younger people?
11) Why do new generations often blame the last generation for many problems they are facing?
12) Can you see a generation gap between yourself and the younger generation?

IV. Friendship
1) Have you ever felt a generation gap with your friends?
2) How does a generation gap affect interaction between two people?
3) What points do you and your friends/parents/relatives/grandparents always have an argument or disagreement? Do you think it is related to the generation gap?
4) Some people think it is OK to marry a much older man but not a much older woman? Do you agree? What problems can a spouse have in such a case?
5) If you don't have generation gaps with your friends/parents/relatives/grandparents, what are some reasons why they don't exist in your relationships with them?

V. Family relationships

1) Could you talk to your parents about everything?
2) Had your and your parents’ upbringing something in common?
3) Do you think that your life is easier/harder than your parents’?
4) Do you feel your parents don't understand you because of a generation gap?
5) Is the generation gap the main reason of quarrels between parents and their children?
6) How do parents relate to teenagers through the generation gap?
7) Have you ever disagree with your parents/grandparents about topics such as music, style and values? Why?
8) What problems arise from generation gap between parents and their children?
9) What do you think is important to have normal relations between parents and children?
VI. Teachers and Students
1) What is generation gap between teachers and students?
2) Should teachers be aware of the generation gap between them and their students? What can be done about it? Can the gap be narrowed being adaptable, or should students adapt to their teachers?
3) Can teachers and students be friends?
VII. Problems1) Can the generation gap cause problems in the workplace? Which of them?
2) How to solve the problem of the generation gap?
3) How can you minimize generation gap?
VIII. Conclusion
1) When did you first become an adult in your mind?
2) When do people become experienced? Does it always depend on age?
3) What is the best way to stop arguments and not to quarrel?
4) Are parents the best friends in the life? How can children show parents their gratitude?
5) If you could give one important message to the next generation, what would it be?

Question 1


Why don't our parents let us go out more with our friends? When they do this with me, I feel that they don't trust me.

Question 2

Why do so many parents get divorced? Why can't they solve their problems? How are we supposed to cope with all these problems? I am 16 years old, and I feel lost.
My dad doesn't bother to contact us.

Question 3

My parents always believe that I can't depend on myself, and they treat me as an irresponsible person, although I'm not, and I 'm trying all the time to prove the opposite. I need your advice.

Question 4

The older generation tends to forget that they were also once young, and seem unable to relate to us. What does it take to bring them back to reality and perhaps even remind them that they were once young? 


Question 5 

I think my parents, aunts and uncles are so clueless about the things we go through. They keep saying things like, "When we were young, we never did such and such things." 
Why can't they understand that our world is different, and that a lot of things didn't exist in their time, like internet, mobiles, etc? Why do they just assume that I'm doing something wrong when I spend time on the net or my mobile? I don't do anything bad. I only chat with my friends, but they always feel that I'm the worst person in the world. 


Question 6 

I don't consider my situation entirely strange. For some reason I can openly talk to my grandmother who, in spite of her age, understands me and is a great listener, and never judges me. But I can't relate the same way to my parents. When I talk about stuff, even about boys, they don't want to hear it. They just say I must concentrate on my studies and forget about boys. 
I don't even have a boyfriend but I have a wide circle of friends that includes boys. I think my parents live in a different world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment