Monday, November 10, 2014

Ukrainian Language Day or “A Show of Patriotic Unity”

Mike Dixon
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer/Ukraine

Ukrainian Language Day or “A Show of Patriotic Unity”

The “Day of the Ukrainian Language” has been celebrated in Ukraine on November 9 since 1997. The language is part of the Slavic family and was actually in use before the existence of Russia or its language. Consisting of 33 letters of the Cyrillic alphabet it pre-dates the emergence of the Russian language. It is interesting to note that in various periods of history from 1627 until 1991 the Ukrainian language was banned 134 times. Now, Ukrainian has become a popular and “trendy” language in Ukraine, which has taken an underlying nationalistic character following the Revolution which began on November 21, 2013 (a day I will never forget) and the conflict continues as the war in the east is an undisputed (except by Russian propaganda!) documented Russian supported invasion!

Even the new President Petro Poroshenko has hinted that a “second national language” for Ukraine might be English, not Russian. As I trained in the Russian language for almost three months in Ukraine and, previously, for over two months at the International Language Institute in Highland Park, Illinois, I was placed in a Ukrainian speaking city (Vinnytsia) I found the desire by Ukrainians to learn English quite high. I understand this issue. When some Ukrainian friends started correcting my English (damn British!), I also understood the desire of its importance to them (another!).

The use of Ukrainian in Ukraine (estimated at 77.8% of the total population) does show a patriotic effort and a sought after quest for freedom from oppression.

СЛАВА УКРАЇНІ! ГЕРОЯМ СЛАВА!
(Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the Heroes!)

Ukrainian is intertwined with culture which was suppressed in Soviet times. Ukrainian national poet Taras Shevchenko (1814-61) has had his poem “Testament” translated into 147 languages and speaks of “freedom” as an aspiration of the Ukrainian people. While he was exiled to Russia he wrote of his beloved homeland and his desire to return, even in death:

When I die, then bury me
Atop a mound
Amid the steppe’s expanse
In my beloved Ukraine, 
So I may see 
The great broad fields, 
The Dnipro (river) and the cliffs,
So I may hear the river roar.
When it carries hostile blood
From Ukraine into the azure sea…
I’ll then forsake
The fields and hills-
I’ll leave it all, 
Taking wing to pray
To God Himself…till
Then I know not God.
Bury me, rise up,
And break your chains
Then sprinkle liberty
With hostile wicked blood.
And in a great new family,
A family of the free,
Forget not to remember me
With a kind and gentle word.
Pereyaslav, December 25, 1845

In the Ukrainian National Anthem, freedom is expressed four times. I have seen tears swell up at the singing of this song, especially during the events of the Revolution.

Certain Ukrainian phases have become a rich memory for me, including Многая літа (mnohaya lita) which is a traditional greeting meaning “many years” or “I wish you many happy years of life.” Thank you to my Ukrainian friends.

The hospitality of the Ukrainian people is expressed in Чим хата багата (chym khata bahata), which means “with whatever our house is rich we are ready to share it with our guests”. Many times I have experienced the rich hospitality of the Ukrainian people.

Ukrainian literature and language usage can be expected to increase, as interest in Ukrainian literature is growing rapidly, compensating for periods when its development was hindered by policies of direct suppression.

Reporting from the field (once removed).

No comments:

Post a Comment