Thursday, October 25, 2012
English Club with Michael Dixon
"A PRESENTATION TO АMERICA" or, the importance of a culture's contributions in a small world MICHAEL DIXON / United States Peace Corps in UkraineINTERESTING FACTS
• Ukraine is almost the same size as the US state of Texas but has almost twice the population:
My photographic attempt to express the Ukrainian flag in the landscape
UKRAINE - TEXAS
Area 603,700 square kilometers - 696,241 square kilometers
233,100 square miles - 268,581 square miles
Population 45,706,100 - 26,674,681
• In Ukraine, the average farm size is 20,000 hectares (49,421 acres) while the average farm size in the United States is 188 hectares (467 acres).
1. Why is there such a disparity between farm size in Ukraine and the United States? What can be done about it now? What is collectivization?
2. Ukraine is rich in its cultural history. What are some traits of Ukrainian culture? How important is culture in defining a nation?
3. How long does it take to create a nation? (thought provoking - no real answer, of course) When do you know that you are there?
4. What is the value of knowing history? Consider this statement: If you don't know where you've been, you won't know who you are. (My variant of a quote by Cicero which is written above the entrance of the University of Colorado main library, "Who knows only his Generation remains always a child."
5. What part of a municipal budget do you think should be spent on cultural enrichment (concerts, festivals) as compared to infrastructure (road improvements, hospitals, social services). Do you belong to organizations which promote Ukrainian culture? Do young Ukrainians continue traditions through song and crafts?
Posted by Window on America at 9:41 PM